Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) What does this motorway sign show?
2) What does this motorway sign mean?
3) What restrictions apply on a Motorway to new drivers holding a provisional driving licence?
4) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
5) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
6) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
7) You are driving along the motorway in the inside lane.
You intend to turn left at the next available exit.
When should you signal left?
8) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
9) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
10) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
11) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
12) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
13) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
14) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
15) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than
16) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
17) Travelling on a wet motorway with road spray you should :
18) You must not stop on a motorway. What are the 2 exceptions to this rule?
2 answers required
19) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
20) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
21) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
22) Motorway emergency telephones are usually linked to the police.
In some areas they are now linked to
23) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
24) If you break down on the motorway - which way should you walk to use the emergency telephone on the hard shoulder?
25) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
26) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
27) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)" on a Motorway?
28) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
29) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
30) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
31) Which vehicles are prohibited from using the motorway?
32) You must ensure that any load carried on or in your vehicle while driving along the motorway is: -
2 answers required
33) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
34) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
35) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
36) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
37) On a motorway the amber reflective studs can be found between
38) What do AMBER studs on the motorway show?
39) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
40) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
41) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
42) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
43) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
44) What does this motorway sign mean?
45) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
46) On a Motorway in poor daylight what should you use?
47) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
48) You are travelling on a motorway. You decide you need a rest.
49) When joining a motorway you must always
50) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?