Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) You are intending to leave the motorway at the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you should normally position your vehicle
2) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
3) If you break down on the motorway - which way should you walk to use the emergency telephone on the hard shoulder?
4) Motorway emergency telephones are usually linked to the police.
In some areas they are now linked to
5) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
6) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
7) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
8) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
9) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
10) What does this motorway sign mean?
11) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than
12) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
13) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
14) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST have your headlights switched on unless
15) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
16) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
17) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
18) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
19) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
20) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
21) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
22) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
23) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
24) What does this motorway sign mean?
25) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
26) What restrictions apply on a Motorway to new drivers holding a provisional driving licence?
27) What does this motorway sign show?
28) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
29) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
30) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
31) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
32) On a motorway the amber reflective studs can be found between
33) What does this motorway sign mean?
34) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
35) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
36) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
37) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
38) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
39) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
40) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
41) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
42) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
43) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
44) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
45) Which of the following statement is correct?
46) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
47) Which vehicles are prohibited from using the motorway?
48) On a Motorway in poor daylight what should you use?
49) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
50) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-