Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) What does this motorway sign mean?
2) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
3) What does this motorway sign mean?
4) What does this motorway sign mean?
5) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
6) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
7) You are intending to leave the motorway at the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you should normally position your vehicle
8) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
9) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
10) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
11) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)" on a Motorway?
12) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
13) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
14) When joining a motorway you must always
15) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
16) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
17) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
18) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
19) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
20) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
21) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
22) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
23) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
24) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
25) You are travelling on a motorway. You decide you need a rest.
26) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
27) Setting down or picking up passengers on a motorway is only allowed:-
28) What restrictions apply on a Motorway to new drivers holding a provisional driving licence?
29) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
30) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
31) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
32) Which vehicles are prohibited from using the motorway?
33) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
34) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
35) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
36) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
37) Which of the following statement is correct?
38) You are driving along the motorway in the inside lane.
You intend to turn left at the next available exit.
When should you signal left?
39) On a motorway the amber reflective studs can be found between
40) Rear fog lights should be used on a motorway when visibility is below:-
41) What does this motorway sign show?
42) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
43) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
44) Travelling on a wet motorway with road spray you should :
45) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
46) When joining a motorway you should ?
2 answers required
47) What does this motorway sign mean?
48) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
49) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
50) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?