Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
2) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
3) What does this motorway sign mean?
4) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
5) Which vehicles are prohibited from using the motorway?
6) What does this motorway sign mean?
7) What does this motorway sign mean?
8) You must not stop on a motorway. What are the 2 exceptions to this rule?
2 answers required
9) Motorway emergency telephones are usually linked to the police.
In some areas they are now linked to
10) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
11) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
12) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
13) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
14) What does this motorway sign mean?
15) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
16) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
17) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
18) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
19) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
20) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
21) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
22) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
23) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
24) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
25) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
26) You are travelling on a motorway. You decide you need a rest.
27) When joining a motorway you should ?
2 answers required
28) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
29) On a motorway the amber reflective studs can be found between
30) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
31) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
32) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
33) Setting down or picking up passengers on a motorway is only allowed:-
34) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
35) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
36) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST have your headlights switched on unless
37) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
38) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
39) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
40) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
41) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)" on a Motorway?
42) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
43) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
44) On a Motorway in poor daylight what should you use?
45) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
46) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
47) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
48) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
49) If you break down on the motorway - which way should you walk to use the emergency telephone on the hard shoulder?
50) You are intending to leave the motorway at the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you should normally position your vehicle