Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
2) You are travelling on a motorway. You decide you need a rest.
3) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
4) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
5) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
6) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
7) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
8) What does this motorway sign mean?
9) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
10) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
11) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
12) Which vehicles are prohibited from using the motorway?
13) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
14) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
15) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
16) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than
17) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
18) What does this motorway sign mean?
19) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
20) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
21) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
22) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
23) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
24) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
25) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
26) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
27) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
28) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
29) What do AMBER studs on the motorway show?
30) Which of the following statement is correct?
31) You are intending to leave the motorway at the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you should normally position your vehicle
32) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
33) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
34) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
35) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
36) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
37) What does this motorway sign mean?
38) Travelling on a wet motorway with road spray you should :
39) When joining a motorway you must always
40) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
41) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
42) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
43) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
44) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
45) What does this motorway sign show?
46) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
47) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
48) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
49) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)" on a Motorway?
50) A crawler lane on a motorway is found