Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
A - Weaving
B - Aquaplaning
C - Fading
D - Screeching
2) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
A - not exceed 50 mph
B - not overtake
C - have a stabiliser fitted
D - use only the left and centre lanes
3) The left-hand lane of a motorway should be used for
A - breakdowns and emergencies only
B - overtaking slower traffic in the other lanes
C - slow vehicles only
D - normal driving
4) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
A - drive faster ahead of it
B - drive at the same speed
C - leave the other vehicle to adjust its speed
D - be ready to adjust your speed
5) What does this motorway sign mean?
A - 11 tonnes weight limit
B - Stop all lanes ahead closed
C - Leave the motorway at the next exit
D - Lane ahead closed
6) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
A - On a slip road on a motorway
B - In a motorway service area
C - On the motorway hard shoulder
D - Under a motorway bridge
7) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
A - Look much further ahead than you would on other roads
B - Travel much faster than you would on other roads
C - Maintain a shorter separation distance than you would on other roads
D - Concentrate more than you would on other roads
8) Rear fog lights should be used on a motorway when visibility is below:-
A - Your overall stopping distance
B - Ten car lengths
C - 100 metres (328ft)
D - 10 metres (33ft)
9) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
A - Center
B - Left
C - Right
D - Any Lane
10) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
A - Bumping another car whilst parking
B - Driving with your headlights on full beam
C - Skidding on a dry road
D - Following another vehicle too closely
11) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
A - Use dipped headlights
B - Use your hazard lights
C - Drive in a lane with no traffic
D - Use your rear fog lights
12) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
A - Any road
B - An 'A' road
C - A motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway
D - Any road with a national speed limit
13) What does this motorway sign mean?
A - Proceed with caution
B - Do not proceed further in this lane
C - Change lane
D - The motorway is closed ahead. Turn off at the next exit
14) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
A - Someone has forgot to turn the sign off
B - The sign has a fault
C - Turn your high intensity fog lights on
D - There is fog up ahead
15) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
A - Stop and recover the bag
B - Drive on and abandon the bag
C - Stop at the next emergency phone and tell the police
D - Do a 'U' turn on the hard shoulder and drive back to the bag with your headlights on
E - Reverse on the hard shouler to recover the bag
16) On a motorway the amber reflective studs can be found between
A - the hard shoulder and the carriageway
B - the acceleration lane and the carriageway
C - the central reservation and the carriageway
D - each pair of the lanes
17) What does this motorway sign mean?
A - Max speed 50 mph
B - Min speed 50 mph
C - Visibility down to 50 metres
D - 50 miles to the next service station
18) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
A - Variable speed limits
B - Contraflow systems
C - National speed limits
D - Lane closures
19) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
A - You should indicate to pull out but not on returning to a lane
B - You should always indicate to change lanes
C - You only need to indicate when there are other drivers behind you
D - Don't indicate when you are on the motorway
20) You must ensure that any load carried on or in your vehicle while driving along the motorway is: -
2 answers required
A - Carries a red flag
B - Not sticking out dangerously
C - Secure
D - Covered by a waterproof sheet
21) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
A - 50 cc
B - 125 cc
C - 250 cc
D - 500 cc
22) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
A - carry on but slow down
B - leave the motorway at the next exit
C - complete your journey as quickly as possible
D - stop on the hard shoulder
23) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
A - Use only your sidelights in good weather
B - Always use your headlights
C - Always use your fog lights
D - Use headlights only in bad weather
24) You are intending to leave the motorway at the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you should normally position your vehicle
A - in the middle lane
B - in the left-hand lane
C - on the hard shoulder
D - in any lane
25) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
A - Behind the car
B - In the front of the car
C - In the car
D - On the grass bank away from the motorway
26) If you break down on the motorway - which way should you walk to use the emergency telephone on the hard shoulder?
A - Walk the same way as the flow of traffic
B - Walk the opposite way as the flow of traffic
C - Follow the arrows on the white marker posts
27) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
A - if you feel tired and need to sleep
B - if you need to reverse to get back to an exit
C - if you need to use your mobile phone
D - if you breakdown and can't reach the next service area
28) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
A - Because there is room to slow down if required
B - To build up speed similar to those already on the motorway
C - To allow you full access to an overtaking lane
D - To allow you to use the hard shoulder if required
29) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
A - In an emergency
B - If you breakdown on the right hand lane
C - If you are on the hard shoulder
D - none
30) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
A - During the late afternoon
B - After heavy prolonged rain
C - After a long dry spell followed by a shower of rain
D - During a long dry spell
31) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
A - Learner car drivers
B - Motorcycles over 50cc
C - Double-deck buses
D - Farm tractors
E - Horse riders
F - Cyclists
32) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
A - 40 mph
B - 50 mph
C - 60 mph
D - 70 mph
33) What do AMBER studs on the motorway show?
A - The right hand edge of the carriageway
B - The left hand edge of the carriageway
C - The separation of the lanes
D - The slip road off the motorway
34) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
A - They will wait until you stop, then approach you
B - They will pull alongside you, use the siren and wave you to stop
C - They will use the siren, overtake, cut in front and stop
D - They will flash their headlights, indicate left and point to the left
35) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
A - 73 metres (240 feet)
B - 36 metres (120 feet)
C - 53 metres (175 feet)
D - 96 metres (315 feet)
36) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
A - Use the lane that has the least traffic
B - Keep to the left-hand lane unless overtaking
C - Overtake on the side that�s clearest
D - Try to keep above 50 mph to prevent congestion
37) On a Motorway in poor daylight what should you use?
A - Fog Lights
B - Side Lights
C - Dipped headlights
D - Main beam headlights
38) What does this motorway sign mean?
A - 11 ton weight limit
B - Through traffic use left lane
C - Right-hand lane closed ahead
D - Right-lane T junction only
39) You must not stop on a motorway. What are the 2 exceptions to this rule?
2 answers required
A - When you have been driving for longer than 2 hours
B - In an emergency
C - When flashing red lights show above your lane
D - When you want to pick up a hitch-hiker
E - To answer your mobile phone
40) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
A - 2 second gap
B - 4 second gap
C - 6 second gap
D - 10 second gap
41) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
A - 4 times
B - 6 times
C - 10 times
D - 20 times
42) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
A - When going 70 mph
B - For overtaking
C - When the motorway is clear in all lanes
D - When driving a coach
43) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
A - 40 mph
B - 50 mph
C - 60 mph
D - 70 mph
44) Which of the following statement is correct?
A - The Motorways are safe after being gritted
B - Gritting ensures the Motorways are not slippery
C - Gritting Motorways is a waste of time and money
D - In freezing conditions take care even if the Motorways have been gritted
45) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
A - on a steep gradient
B - before a service area
C - before a junction
D - along the hard shoulder
46) Motorway emergency telephones are usually linked to the police.
In some areas they are now linked to
A - the local ambulance service
B - an Highways Agency control centre
C - the local fire brigade
D - a breakdown service control centre
47) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
A - not overtake
B - not exceed 60 mph
C - use only the left and centre lanes
D - have a stabiliser fitted
48) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
A - 50 mph
B - 60 mph
C - 70 mph
D - 80 mph
49) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
A - yellow
B - green
C - blue
D - brown
50) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST have your headlights switched on unless
A - there are vehicles close in front of you
B - you are travelling below 50 mph
C - the motorway is lit
D - your vehicle is broken down on the hard shoulder
SHARE THIS PAGE
© Crown copyright material reproduced under licence from the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, which does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of the reproduction