Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
2) You must not stop on a motorway. What are the 2 exceptions to this rule?
2 answers required
3) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
4) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
5) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
6) The left-hand lane of a motorway should be used for
7) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
8) Setting down or picking up passengers on a motorway is only allowed:-
9) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
10) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
11) You are intending to leave the motorway at the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you should normally position your vehicle
12) On a motorway the amber reflective studs can be found between
13) What does this motorway sign mean?
14) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
15) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
16) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
17) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
18) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)" on a Motorway?
19) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
20) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
21) On a Motorway in poor daylight what should you use?
22) You must ensure that any load carried on or in your vehicle while driving along the motorway is: -
2 answers required
23) What does this motorway sign mean?
24) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
25) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
26) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
27) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
28) Rear fog lights should be used on a motorway when visibility is below:-
29) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
30) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
31) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
32) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
33) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
34) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than
35) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST have your headlights switched on unless
36) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
37) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
38) What does this motorway sign show?
39) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
40) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
41) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
42) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
43) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
44) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
45) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
46) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
47) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
48) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
49) What restrictions apply on a Motorway to new drivers holding a provisional driving licence?
50) Which of the following statement is correct?