Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
2) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
3) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
4) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
5) What restrictions apply on a Motorway to new drivers holding a provisional driving licence?
6) What does this motorway sign mean?
7) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
8) What do AMBER studs on the motorway show?
9) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
10) Travelling on a wet motorway with road spray you should :
11) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
12) You are driving along the motorway in the inside lane.
You intend to turn left at the next available exit.
When should you signal left?
13) What does this motorway sign show?
14) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
15) Rear fog lights should be used on a motorway when visibility is below:-
16) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
17) Setting down or picking up passengers on a motorway is only allowed:-
18) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
19) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
20) Which vehicles are prohibited from using the motorway?
21) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
22) You are travelling on a motorway. You decide you need a rest.
23) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
24) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
25) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
26) When joining a motorway you should ?
2 answers required
27) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
28) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
29) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
30) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
31) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
32) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
33) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
34) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
35) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
36) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
37) What does this motorway sign mean?
38) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
39) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
40) You must not stop on a motorway. What are the 2 exceptions to this rule?
2 answers required
41) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
42) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
43) What does this motorway sign mean?
44) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
45) On a Motorway in poor daylight what should you use?
46) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
47) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
48) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
49) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
50) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?