Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) You are travelling on a motorway. You decide you need a rest.
2) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
3) Which vehicles are prohibited from using the motorway?
4) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
5) What does this motorway sign show?
6) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
7) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
8) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)" on a Motorway?
9) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
10) What does this motorway sign mean?
11) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
12) Which of the following statement is correct?
13) Travelling on a wet motorway with road spray you should :
14) When joining a motorway you should ?
2 answers required
15) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-
16) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
17) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
18) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
19) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
20) The left-hand lane of a motorway should be used for
21) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
22) If you are driving in the left lane of the motorway and find another vehicle merging from a slip road, what should you do?
23) What does this motorway sign mean?
24) If you break down on the motorway - which way should you walk to use the emergency telephone on the hard shoulder?
25) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than
26) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
27) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
28) When joining a motorway you must always
29) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
30) Your vehicle has broken down on a motorway. You aren't able to stop on the hard shoulder. What should you do?
31) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
32) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
33) You are intending to leave the motorway at the next exit.
Before you reach the exit you should normally position your vehicle
34) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
35) A two-second gap between you and the car in front is when conditions are?
36) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST have your headlights switched on unless
37) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
38) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
39) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
40) The extreme right-hand lane of a four-lane motorway should be used:-
41) What is the normal (national) speed limit for cars in the left-hand lane of a three-laned motorway?
42) You are travelling on the motorway and are feeling tired. What should you do?
43) You are driving on a wet motorway with surface spray. You should:-
44) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
45) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
46) If there is ice or snow on a Motorway braking distances can increase by:-
47) What is the maximum speed for cars towing caravans on a Motorway?
48) What does this motorway sign mean?
49) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
50) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?