Test Type: Motorway
Number of Questions: 50
Pass Mark: 43
Research by the IAM suggests that in their first year of driving nearly 20 per cent of men and 40 per cent of women avoid motorways.
By the third year after passing the test, 11 per cent of men and 28 per cent of women did no motorway driving.
Take this simple motorway quiz and get more confident of using the Motorway Network.
1) You are on a motorway at night. You MUST have your headlights switched on unless
2) When may you use the right hand lane of the motorway?
3) You are towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. You must :
2 answers required
4) A crawler lane on a motorway is found
5) A flashing motorway sign reads 'FOG' on a apparently clear road. What does this tell you?
6) You are travelling on a motorway. A bag falls off the roof rack. What should you do?
7) You are joining a motorway.
Why is it important to make full use of the slip road ?
8) You are the only one on a three lane motorway.
Which lane should you drive in if you are travelling at 70 mph in a car?
9) What is the Maximum speed for a Heavy Goods vehicle (exceeding 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight)" on a Motorway?
10) What is the national speed limit for cars on a motorway?
11) Setting down or picking up passengers on a motorway is only allowed:-
12) You're towing a small trailer on a busy three-lane motorway. All the lanes are open. You must
13) The left-hand lane of a motorway should be used for
14) You are travelling at 60 m.p.h. on a good, dry motorway What is the overall stopping distance?
15) What does tailgating on a motorway mean?
16) What does this motorway sign mean?
17) When joining a motorway you must always
18) You must not stop on a motorway. What are the 2 exceptions to this rule?
2 answers required
19) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than
20) You are driving on a well-lit motorway at night. You should?
21) What do GREEN studs on the motorway show?
22) Which of the following statement is correct?
23) A motorcycle is not allowed on a motorway if it has an engine size smaller than:-
24) Which FOUR of these must NOT use motorways?
4 answers required
25) Motorway emergency telephones are usually linked to the police.
In some areas they are now linked to
26) What does this motorway sign mean?
27) Motorway hard shoulders should ONLY be used for?
28) What colour backgrounds do Motorway signs show?
29) On a motorway what is used to reduce traffic bunching?
30) How will a police officer in a patrol car get you to stop on the Motorway?
31) You have broken down on a motorway. You have stopped on the hard shoulder.
Where is the safest place to wait for help ?
32) On a motorway the amber reflective studs can be found between
33) What does this motorway sign mean?
34) You may only stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
35) When driving on a motorway, when should you indicate to change lanes?
36) You are driving in very wet weather on the motorway. Your car begins to slide.
This effect is called?
37) Motorway road surfaces tend to be at their most slippery:-
38) In WET motorway road conditions the minimum distance you should leave between you and the vehicle in front should be?
39) Blue reflective studs on a motorway indicate an area reserved for?
40) The car below is moving with its hazard warning lights on. It's to let you know there is a hazard ahead.
What type of road is this allowed on?
41) Rear fog lights should be used on a motorway when visibility is below:-
42) What basic rule applies when you're using a motorway?
43) Where are you most likely to see this sign?
44) What do AMBER studs on the motorway show?
45) What should you do when driving or riding along a motorway?
46) What restrictions apply on a Motorway to new drivers holding a provisional driving licence?
47) Which of the following are not allowed to use a motorway?
3 answers required
48) Usually, on a motorway, how far from the exit is the first sign showing the junction number?
49) In which circumstances may you reverse on the motorway?
50) When driving along the motorway your overall stopping distance will be much longer when:-